Noting that railroaders and the railroad traditions are on the verge of becoming extinct, there is a need to preserve the culture in a more serene form. To make this endeavor a reality, the government has given railroad heritage preservation an economic approach.
Features of heritage railroads:
It is an amalgamation of public and private goods. These goods are provided by the government and non-profit making institutions. Non-profit making centers are institutions which are voluntarily managed with a mission to preserve the artifacts for the coming generation. The two institutions Provide a brief comprehension of railroading in the history books of any given society.
Benefits: Helps in the conservation and re-creation of the atmosphere of a traditional railway. It ensures the provision of preferred public goods. Facilitates provision of preferred private goods such as visitor travel, social weekends and dinner outings. Avails non-preferred private goods such as shops and refresher set-ups.
Sources of funding: The government: offer grants, personnel, and security. Private sector players. Donations and other materials.
The public: offer voluntary services: Friendly societies. Such as the National Railway Museum (NRM).
Management: Government intervention: the government must take the active part in running the affairs of by
– regulation- to protect the nature and institutional framework of the project.
– direct incentives- to encourage the private sector participation
– information dissemination-creation of public awareness to build consensus towards the preservation of the railroads. The government does this by ensuring that publications, exhibits, conferences, and periodicals are provided on the website.
Non-profit making institutions normally offer oversight services as the project continues. Reasons for preference of wooden fences:
– They are super-easy to fix and maintain.
– The fences Improve in quality as they advance in age.
– The wooden fences are easy to adjust according to personal demand.
– The fences are relatively cheap to buy and install. Another thing is, there are lots of woodworking tools now that are of hybrid version that will make fencing easy.
– Flexible and can be laid anywhere.
Reasons for fencing:
– To ensure peaceful coexistence between neighborhood land users and railway users.
– Access control: to foster territoriality and increase surveillance. This ensures movement in and out of the facility is fully controlled.
– Creation of safety: the fences prevent the citizens and their animals from falling prey to ever impending danger on the railway.
– Check against vandalism: to bring peace and do away with constant quarrels with the neighbors, fences are erected around the railways.
MERITS OF PRESERVING RAILWAY HERITAGE
The project provides an avenue for preserving a rich culture of the old. The information is preserved in a chronological and contextualized manner. The researchers in the field of transport can caption the images accurately to ensure that other scholars get factual and timely information. Such projects add a professional gesture to the attempts made toward preservation of cultural resources.
Tools for preservation: The information can be stored online and with special web portals, it can be used to bridge the gap between people of different ages. The railroad arts are preserved using modern tools from where they can be retrieved easily. A special insight is brought out by Dewalt who advocates for the mixture of old traditions and modern technology. Modern equipment can be used to preserve the arts of the old generation. Everybody can contribute towards railroad heritage conservation without losing touch of their collection. An integrated approach caters for the images from the center and its partners’ contributions. It is open for public participation as one can make use of a utility plug-in included in the portal to flag in their contribution and get information simultaneously.